Having issues when saving to our in home server
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SturdyNerdyStitchery

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  14:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might take some explanation and some pictures...but, I am having issues when saving. But ONLY when saving to the small server we have in the basement.

I like saving to the server because I can then work upstairs on my laptop...save to the server...move down stairs to my office. I can open and work on files where ever in the house I am at. Quite convenient.

However, ONLY when saving to the server (via CTRL+S) do i get this message: "System error: Handle is invalid. Do you want to email PC stitch..."

I know it's just the server, because I tried saving to my desk top and i had no issue doing a CTRL+ S.

The only way I can save it is by going to "file: save as" and saving the file.

Upon doing so, the save as box appears and the destination i last saved it to opens up.

If the picture is there...you can see in the file name box...the entire server destination address is present. "\\borg\cube\users\tanya\the sturdy nerdy stitchery on pc\pc stitch files\sailor moon\fight for love and justice". Now, it's common knowledge (i should think) that file names can't have certain characters in it...and i know the \ i one of them.

I figure that's the issue a to why it can't save. It is auto including the destination address. I orignially save it as...say... "fighting for love and justice" and the first time i save a file...i go "File: save as" and any time after that, should be a simple "CTRL+S" (just a simple save)

but no. handle is invalid.

You can see by the image (i hope it shows) that each time i want to save...i have to go FILE: SAVE AS" and it won't let me type in the same file name and "do you wish to overwrite this file" because I get the same "handle is invalid" message...

So, i have to save it as "Fighting for love and justice 1" and if i want to save again, another "file save as" and "fighting for love and justice 2" and 3 and 4 and 5 and so on and so on. I had one file get up to version 10

This might be fine and dandy if i wanted to go back to older versions...but i don't. Not really.

I COULD save everything to the desk top when I am working, and then remember to manually move the files over to the server when i am done but that becomes tedious each and every time, especially when i go back to my computer and "open recent" and it can't find the file because i moved it.

I already talked to my husband about it, who ha a degree in computer science and his profession is field support IT technician...so he knows his way around computers. He said that it looks like it's an issue with PC stitch.

and I am inclined to believe him...because sometimes i use win stitch to make mock ups. or i use KG chart pro for other elements that PC stitch doesn't have. Those save just fine to the server no issue.

it's only PC stitch.

Hope someone can point me in the direction of an answer. My husband seemed more confused about it happening.

Making the world brighter, one stitch at a time

Dragonlair

USA
2858 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2021 :  16:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think PCStitch has even contemplated the issue. The only thing you can do is to contact Mark and post in the thread for added features for it to be added in a later version.

If "Save as" works, then use it, or use the save to temporary and move it later. That's about all you can do for now.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page

SturdyNerdyStitchery

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2021 :  12:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! That's probably what I'll keep doing. It's' just more annoying than anything. Hopefully it's something that can be looked at or considered!

Making the world brighter, one stitch at a time
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000