Need Advice, Please: 2 Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

higgins

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  20:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Last week I bought STOIK Stitch Creator Software and it turned out very disappointing. I could create projects OK, but when I tried to save them in an image format (by using "Print to File" since there's no Export feature), so many things went wrong. Either I got a "General Conversion Error" message, or I'd successfully save the file as a JPEG and when I opened it my whole pattern was black. Also, although PNG was listed as an output file format, it never saved anything as a PNG, but kept saying "General Conversion Error." I have Windows 7 and STOIK claims that their software is compatible with it.

I emailed their help department a week ago and they still haven't gotten back to me. So in the meantime I used screen capture to "photograph" portions of my image, then joined the parts together in Photoshop. But I'd rather have a fully functioning cross stitch software because I'm getting new and bigger ideas for it.

So I would like to buy PC Stitch, but I'm afraid the same thing might happen. And since you can't save anything until you buy the full version, I have no way of knowing in advance if I'll keep having this problem.

Can anyone shed any light on why I'm having this problem?

Here's my second question: I'd like to create designs & sell patterns & instructions for them. When I exported the colors & symbols as a .cvs file, and opened it, all the thread color info was there, but all the symbols had disappeared. How can I fix this?

Thanks for any input.

Dragonlair

USA
2860 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  22:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't help you with the first question. I do know that exporting to jpg is possible without problems with the licensed version but since I have the license, I don't know. I suggest you try toe trial version and if it works, then the licensed version will.

In fact, a better solution is to install something like PrimoPDF which is a "virtual printer" and print your PCStitch file to it. That will give you the pattern and key all together (what you can't get with the export to jpg) as a pdf file!

As for the second question, there is a very good reason that you lose the symbols. The symbols are a separate True-Type font under normal circumstances (Usually PCStitch Symbols 1, 2 or 3). A .csv file (or even a full Excel spreadsheet) cannot handle date in multiple fonts at the same time. To do what you want would require one field to be one font and the rest of the line to be the standard text font. It is simply not supported. A screen shot, or as I said the virtual print using PrimoPDF or a similar product, would eliminate the problem.

Note - PrimoPDF (from http://www.primopdf.com/ ) is free!

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page

Daisy

128 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  09:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Higgins

I design and sell my charts as pdfs; I use PCStitch v 10 and am VERY pleased with it.

I can confirm to you that you CAN export to image files - if I'm not stitching an example for sale, I convert all my charts to jpegs to import into a DTP program for the cover for my designs.

I have never had any problems with instructions losing symbols, thread details or anything. When you go to print your chart, you have the options to choose how you want the pattern to look - colour blocks, symbols whatever; also, thread amounts, stitch counts and so on. You can also write instructions in the word processor to go with your pattern. It really is very good.

Daisy
www.crossstitchit.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000