PCStitch User Forums
PCStitch User Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 PCStitch Forums
 PCStitch 10
 making a pattern from an illustration

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
toast Posted - 07/13/2012 : 09:44:20
I am new to using PC Stitch but I have managed to understand how to create a pattern from photographs and tweak them make them look right. Now I am trying to learn how to make patterns from illustrations. I have wanted to buy this program for many years because of all the wonderful books I have filled with beautiful drawings. Mind you, I only want to make the patterns and stitch them for my own pleasure so I know I don't need to worry about copyright issues.

The problem I have is that in order to get the amount of detail I desire for them I have to increase the stitch size so much that the finished pieces would be enormous. I have tried changing the pixel numbers of each illustration before importing it to the program but it doesn't change things the way I need it to. The illustrations still come out looking "muddy" without very much detail. Am I missing something or just not understand how things work? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated and I hope I am explaining myself well enough.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
toast Posted - 07/13/2012 : 12:56:52
I realize importing the image is only the beginning. I have worked with photographs that I have been able to turn into very nice patterns. Erasing confetti, changing some colors so they blend better and don't look so extreme next to others colors, as well as adding some touches here and there. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself in learning how to use the software. I see patterns for sale that I assume began as illustrations and was hoping to do the same for my own enjoyment. I just don't understand where and how to start. I'm willing to put in the time to learn but I needed some input on how to go about it.
Dragonlair Posted - 07/13/2012 : 10:30:04
The best imports to cross-stitch are done with very very small images so that you have 1 pixel to one stitch ratio. That reduces the muddiness.

However, it also means that you either have a very simple image to start with or a VERY VERY large pattern. There is just no way around that.

It also works best if your image has simple background so you can focus your colors on the foreground.

One more point and probably the most important. The actual import of the image is JUST THE FIRST STEP! You must be prepared to adjust the pattern after the import to remove confetti stitches, smooth a line here or there and otherwise tweak it to be the best image you can do.

The computer is a tool - it is not the end all and should not be accepted as the final authority. YOU are.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question

PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000