Installing PCStitch 11 on laptop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FionaStitching

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2024 :  07:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I downloaded PCStitch 11 and the laptop (Windows 11) saved it to OS(C:)>Users>MyName>Downloads automatically. I tried to move the application to Documents, but got the message: The path to the installation contains unsupported characters. Try moving the installation to a location that does not have special characters, and then try relaunching it.

So I tried to run the application from the Downloads. The wizard launches and saves the application to C:/Program Files (x86)\PCStitch 11.

I choose a desktop icon, and it says it will save: Pattern Sample Directory:
C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\??\PCStitch Patterns
Then it says: the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I have unlinked my laptop from OneDrive. When I look in the OneDrive folder there is no such folder in there. However there seems to be no option to change where the Pattern Sample Directory is saved.

The installer then closes down without finishing the installation. Can anyone give me an idea on how to solve this problem?

Kind regards

Dragonlair

USA
2860 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2024 :  07:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I have ever done, PCStitch has never been difficult to install. I almost never let any product install itself in C:/Program Files or C:/Program Files (x86). If I can, when the install gets to that point, I use the browse option and choose C:/Products with a sub-folder for the type (Basic, General ...). I've never had a problem.

Running the install from your <username>/Downloads folder should not be a problem. There should not be a need to move the .exe file to documents. It sounds like your <username> is unusual and has special characters in it: that is not recommended.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Pattern Sample Directory. The data files installed with PCStitch are placed in C:/ProgramData which is, by default, a hidden folder. FWIW - one of the first things I do when I install a new computer operating system is UNHIDE that folder!

I recommend you do an uninstall (if possible) of whatever did install, reboot your computer and try to install again.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000