Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aaron Houston

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  18:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have been trying to solve this problem for too long now and maybe you guys can help me out. When I print to pdf with the virtual stitches checked I can not get rid of the lines! It doesn't do it with any of the other options. Only the virtual stitches. It wants the grid to be there so bad. I have turned off all grids in the print options and in the tools section as well. It's driving me crazy! please help

Edited by - Aaron Houston on 05/16/2018 18:56:38

Dragonlair

USA
2855 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  20:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaron,

I'm not sure what method you are using for printing to PDF but I do want to warn you that Windows 10's latest upgrade has caused problems with the default print to PDF for Windows. I use Windows 7 so I have no first-hand knowledge of the issue. I use Foxit as my default PDF reader and it's print to PDF.

I had no problem when I tested using the following print parameters (it may help you to compare with what you used):

Under General tab: Set to fit to a single page and print all grid pages. Printing the information page is optional.

The other tab affected was Grid Page Options: Turn off ALL options on that page and you will simply get a virtual stitch image of the design with no grid marks and no other information -- just pattern on a single page.

I hope it helps.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Houston

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  20:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Diane. This screen shot is from the print preview inside of pc stitch 11. That’s exactly what I did. Print to single page and turned off all grids. It’s not even white lines. Those are empty spaces. When I drop the pdf into photoshop they are transparent. If I have a colored background on the file these lines will appear the color of the bg that I am using.
When I do print to pdf this is of course still there but again, this is inside pc stitch. I tried it on another pattern in pc stitch 10 as well and it was doing the same thing. If I change it from virtual stitches to symbols or color blocks these lines are not there. It’s weird. It only happens when I turn on virtual stitches.
Go to Top of Page

Dragonlair

USA
2855 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  22:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a print preview and did not see the lines. I did a Foxit Print to PDF and the file did not show any breaks in the virtual stitches.

Could it be the way you have the grid lines defined normally?

What version of Windows are you using. That may be part of the issue, too.

Diane
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Houston

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  23:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using windows 10 so if there is an issue with windows 10 after the update that could be it maybe??

as far as the way the grid lines are defined normally, I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. I messed with the thickness of the grid in the pattern and in the print settings and nothing changed it.

weird...

Edited by - Aaron Houston on 05/16/2018 23:13:43
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Houston

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  23:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a screen grab of just a block of colors to test. I changed it from virtual stitches to color blocks and it is still doing the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

Dragonlair

USA
2855 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2018 :  07:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried your same test - a block of colors. I do see the same effect in preview with some white lines. However, the PDF does NOT show those lines. Go ahead and print to PDF and see what happens. This may be a case where the preview is not quite accurate.

Diane
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Houston

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2018 :  18:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmm. That is interesting. I am having mixed results. Every time I print to pdf it is not the same result.

I will look into that more and see what I can dig up. Thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Houston

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2018 :  19:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this may be helpful for someone so I am gonna put this out there.

When I open the pdf in chrome of the Microsoft edge viewer there are no lines in it. As soon as I open that pdf in Photoshop cs6 it makes those lines. It has something to do with the transparency but I haven't figured out how to work around it yet.

If I figure it out I will say so here just in case anyone else ever has this problem. It's weird because I opened an old pattern I did and it didn't have the lines in the pdf when I brought it in Photoshop before (looking at my old PS file) but when I go grab that same pdf and drag it in now, it has the lines. very frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

Dragonlair

USA
2855 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2018 :  20:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a lot of your problem is your pdf viewer. Try Foxit. It's free and it's print to PDF works very nice.

I used to use Primo PDF but I got mad when they changed the install to be such a mess that it was still installing garbage and I was trying to delete the garbage already installed (over my objections in the first place). I threw it away completely. When I started using Foxit's Print to PDF, it was not only cleaner, it was MUCH faster.

I only keep Adobe around for the extremely rare PDF that has features that Foxit doesn't like real well.

Diane
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Houston

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2018 :  12:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I downloaded foxit and I actually like the program and when I look at the pdf in foxit it looks great. But it also looks fine in google chrome pdf viewer and Microsoft edge. So, it's not the pdf viewer. The problem comes in when I open the pdf in Photoshop to edit it. Photoshop is just reading that transparency in the pdf that is clearly there because it is doing it in pc stitch. I don't know, I sent the makers a message to see if they maybe know how to fix it. Thanks a ton for your help, Diane.

Worst case scenario I can work around it but I don't want to do that because it will take hours to do. I can just paint behind the image in PS and add the colors in there. It's just frustrating because this wasn't happening before.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Houston

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2018 :  12:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok well, for now There is a work around that is not ideal but may work for someone with this problem. PDFtoimage.com will convert your pdf into a jpeg or a png for you. This solves the problem. The downside is it shrinks your image by almost half (with the image i am working on anyway)
I am determined to figure this out and if I do I will report back here
Go to Top of Page

Dragonlair

USA
2855 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2018 :  12:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had not thought about converting the pdf to a jpg. You can export the image to a .jpg. That may save you a lot of issues.

There are other products for playing with a pdf, including converting to jpg, splitting and merging pdfs. I use PDF Core. I had another product but it used java and I got rid of that years ago. This one works fine except it cant spell "splitted". It does it with 1 "t".

Diane
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Houston

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2018 :  13:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I saw that foxit can convert to a jpeg. It requires you to sign up for an account and only has a 5-day free trial. So for this, it would work I'm sure but don't want to pay for the service.
Go to Top of Page

Dragonlair

USA
2855 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2018 :  15:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, that's not what I said. PCStitch can "export" to a jpg.

What I have with Foxit is totally free. I refuse the "trials" for such as Phantom. I have no idea what they are but I just want an Adobe clone and a virtual printer.

With HP's print drivers, there are only two products that will actually print -- IE 11 (I'm on Windows 7) and Foxit. The way I print from everything else from Excel, to Word, to PCStitch, is to print to PDF (Foxit) and then print FROM Foxit. It's hokey and clunky but it works and it's better than spending an hour or so on the phone with HP every time I get a new printer.

Diane
Go to Top of Page

marielle

Philippines
2 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2020 :  08:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am trying to highlight per color my stitches then save it to pdf. But when I am saving it to pdf it does show na bold grid lines. But when I print it on the paper without the highlight the bold gridlines were printed. Please help. I havent try printing the one with highlight setting because my printer broke down.

Czarina Marielle Gonzales
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000